Friday, April 12, 2013

Why I'd drive to Canada to see Sigur Ros

It's no secret I love music. I listen to all types depending on my mood or what I'm doing at the moment. I don't pay for TV because I'd rather have music playing as I'm cooking or cleaning or working on a project. I've gone to some great concerts of bands I really love. The most memorable ones being Radiohead (three times!!!), Tori Amos (twice!), and other great bands like U2, R.E.M., Devotchka, The Cure, Explosions in the Sky and Bon Iver. There's one band I haven't seen yet, though. Sigur Ros. They're from Iceland. My favorite band since I was 20. I still remember the first time I saw a Sigur Ros music video. It was this one (pardon the subtitles):

I was like "WHAT??" It was the most beautiful and haunting music I had ever heard. I loved it. Over the years I collected their albums as they came out. After I moved to Austin a few years later, I made a habit of listening to them while falling asleep on my couch with the Christmas lights still on. It was, and still is, one of my favorite things to do. I forced everyone around me to enjoy them as well, although most people just thought I was over enthusiastic about their music. But I don't care, because they are amazing to me. 

I can't explain what happens when I can just sit and relax and hear their music. But it does something that no other music does for me... it puts me in this meditative state, where everything is peaceful and I can breathe and be calm and just feel happy. I don't know if certain music does that for you, but this, for me, is an rare experience. Sometimes I day dream about sitting on the side of a mountain in New Zealand while listening to them. It sounds silly, but when I think about being in such a beautiful place, I want to hear beautiful noise. And sometimes I think Sigur Ros is what heaven must sound like.

Sigur Ros is touring around the world right now. I've been known to say that if I ever got to chance to see them live I would never have to see another show again. They are the band I care the most about, easily. They also happen to be playing close to where my best friend and I will be at the end of May. While I can't go to the Oregon show because I'll be celebrating my dear friend's wedding, they are playing across the border the next day in Canada. Of course my passport is expired (don't let your passport expire!). But I applied for a passport card (much cheaper than renewing and expediting a passport) today and it should get here before I leave for Oregon. Hopefully everything else will fall into place, Leanne and I will drive over to Canada, and I'll see my favorite band, finally, after 12 years of love and devotion. And it'll be like this:


And like this: 


What's even better is that I'll be there with my best friend. She's willing to do this for me. She doesn't make fun of me when I cry. Which is good, because I'll probably be so happy to see Sigur Ros that I'll cry a little bit.
I'll leave you with some more of my favorite videos. And a shout out to Chris V. and your brother, wherever you are, for introducing me to this magic. 




(be careful, there's nudity in the one below! And yes, that's Shia LaBeouf)

No comments:

Post a Comment