Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Sigur Ros, the concert

I don't even know how to start talking about the Sigur Ros show in Canada last night. But here goes.

It was quite the struggle getting there. We left Portland a little later than we intended, and there were pockets of traffic jams on the way, and then there was the bridge that collapsed a few days ago in Washington which meant we had to take a detour to get into Canada. Somehow I managed to feel peaceful about the whole journey, just trying to stay positive that we wouldn't get to the show late. Finally we crossed the border, drove a little more, checked into our hotel, got some Canadian bus money and were on our way to Deer Lake Park. As it turned out, we got to the venue (which was beautiful), found a good spot, and about 15 minutes later Sigur Ros came out.

And that's when the magic started.


I'd been waiting for this for a long time. I was sure to absorb every second of the show, knowing that I was in a very special moment, witnessing art at it's finest, with my best friend Leanne, and we were surrounded by people that knew how special it was to be in that moment too. I couldn't believe that it was happening, and yes, a few tears did come to my eyes. It was raining on and off during the entire show, but somehow that made sense, and really, it was perfect. Jonsi's voice was even more beautiful than on a record. And everyone on stage worked together to make such divine music. At some point I thought to myself that I would surely visit another country just to see them live again.

I'm so thankful that Sigur Ros is making music, because I'm pretty sure it makes this world a better place. At the very least, it makes my world a better place.


Here's a little video, if you're into watching poor quality videos of live performances taken on an iphone.

And here's a little link to a review written about the show. I thought it was pretty right on.

Next time I go, I'll bring a legitimate camera, because these photos don't do the band justice.











No comments:

Post a Comment