Wednesday, June 11, 2014

Week 22: My Dad


This is my dad. You can call him Ralph. My dad is quite interesting, if I do say so myself. I imagine that all parents have this really cool, intriguing story of life before kids, and my dad is no different. He grew up on our ranch with his mom and dad, and I bet he spent a lot of time outside exploring, just like I did years later. He has told me all kinds of stories of his childhood, including how he started playing piano at our church in the country when he was only eight years old, or how he came inside shouting that there were little monkeys coming up to the house when there were some baby kittens walking toward him (he had recently been to the circus for the first time and gotten the kittens confused with the monkeys he saw). He got through school and was one of the smartest kids in his class, and then went on to college at Texas A&M and became a Fightin Texas Aggie. He was in the Corps of Cadets while at A&M and then went on to the Air Force after Graduation. He served in Vietnam and  thankfully, came back. Because of his time in the Air Force and then the Reserves, he got to travel all over the world. When he came back, he became an Civil Engineer and worked that job until he retired. But, I believe, what he really loved, was being a farmer and rancher. And this he did on nights and weekends.

The reason I give you all this background on my dad's education and work is because one of the most important things you should know about my father is that he's worked harder in his life than anyone I know. And he's done it all for his family. Even now, even though he's retired, he often says he works harder now than ever. And even though we don't acknowledge it enough, our whole family knows that everything he's done, was for us. That's something else you should know about my dad. He loves his family. He would do anything to help us. He has done so much for me over the years, there's no way I could ever repay his generosity.

So now I'll tell you how my dad has influenced my life. I'm a harder worker because he taught me how to finish a job. I do everything in my power to keep my word, because he taught me it's important to do what I say I'm going to do. I want to see the world because of the stories he's told me of the places he's been. I love to two step, because he taught me to dance in our living room when I was a kid. I know how to drive a tractor because he taught me how to rake hay. I know how to change a tire because he knew it was important that I learned. I know how to play (a little) piano because I watched him play growing up and was able to take lessons. I know how to shoot a gun because he taught me. I sing along to songs in the car because he never shushed me as a kid, even though I sang along to EVERY song in the car. I went to Germany at the age of 17 because he sent me. I know a little about gardening because he's taught me that too. I have an appreciation for the country, and for solitude, because of our ranch.

And here are some of my favorite memories growing up.... waking up to him practicing hymns on Sunday morning before church. Him cooking breakfast on Saturday mornings. When the cowboys would come and he'd let me watch them give all the calves their shots. Helping him plant his garden. When he bought me a basketball goal in middle school so I could practice while I was at his house because I made the basketball team at school. Riding out in the pasture to check on the cows. One time, in college, when he woke me up because he was leaving the house and he told me he was proud of me. When he would drive 6 hours, round trip, to come to mine and Adrienne's dance recital, and he'd always bring us flowers. Sitting out in the pasture, watching the sunset, waiting for him to come home from working on the tractor. Fishing in our ponds. Catching that BIG catfish when I was 8 years old. When he'd take us camping in the woods. And there are many, many more good memories.

As you can see, my dad is pretty special to me. I need to tell him that more often.

**This is part of the 52 portraits series**

No comments:

Post a Comment