Saturday, February 15, 2014

Week 7: Joe


This is Joe. We first met in band in the eighth grade. Joe was a drummer, which automatically made him cool. But we really became friends in Mrs. Sanders ninth grade English class. All I remember about that class is that we read Lord of the Flies, watched To Kill a Mockingbird (and everyone calling me Scout afterwards), and my friends Joe and Brenna. 

Through high school we were always hanging out in our big group of friends, whether we were being obnoxious on the band bus, all going to dances together, or all hanging out at each other's houses. One of the most hilarious things I remember about Joe during that time is that he would imitate starting a car and then it blowing up. I won't name whose car it was. Also, I may have "skipped" lunch on campus one day my Senior year, and Joe was definitely responsible for that. 

Through college, I came down to Austin and stay with Joe, Allan, and Jon. I really began to appreciate how good of a friend Joe was at that point in my life. After college, I moved to Austin, and continued to have a lot of great times with those guys. 

But here's what I know about Joe now, 20 years after we met. This guy is loyal. He also really cares about his friends. No matter how busy he is (especially now that he has a kid!), he genuinely wants to hang out and catch up. He's a solid friend, and he has been nothing but supportive of me over the years I've known him. He's also hilarious. He knows how to have a good time and he's got some wild stories to tell. To top it off, he's also incredibly smart. 

Even though I moved from Texas, Joe is still a part of my life. I'm so glad I've witnessed him growing up, meeting his wife (who I'll introduce next week), and having a family. I'm honored to call him a friend.

**This is part of the 52 portraits series**

  

No comments:

Post a Comment